Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Review: The Saem Chaga White Liposome Boosting Toner


The Saem is one of the lesser known cosmetic brands in Korea. Its major celebrity endorser is IU. For those who follow korean music will know that IU is a relatively newcomer compared to BoA, who endorses for Missha. In any case, when I first went to Korea last year, I tried out The Saem Cell Renew Snail Snake EGF all-in-one mask and was thoroughly impressed so I bought tons of it. I've also previously tried The Saem Chaga White Liposome Biocellulose Whitening Mask which also uses the Chaga white liposome technology and along with Hadalabo Shirojyun Arbutin Whitening I felt that they helped whiten my skin last summer. So when I got this sample, I had high hopes.

Description (taken from koreadepart.com):
  • Contains chaga mushroom, white auricularia polytricha, bio grain splash
  • Intensively provides a surge of moisture and nutrition for skin 
  • Removes dead skin cells and makes skin soft, smooth and elastic 
  • Paraben free, pigment free, mineral oil free, benzophenone free, animal nature material free.
  • Apply a proper amount to your face dabbing lightly after cleansing
My impression:

According to hope-inablog.com, Chaga is a russian mushroom. They also mention a white fungus, which I'm going to assume is the white auricularia polytricha. White fungus apparently prevents aging and contains whitening, moisturizing, anti-inflammatory and pore shrinking properties. Korea seems to always find ingredients that perform miraculous things...

I was on a great streak with the last two whitening products, HERA White Program Biogenic Effector and OHUI White Extreme Cellshine Essence, but it looks like the streak ends here. I got around 10-15 little red bumps all over my face. Now I've been known to get little red bumps also on Missha Super Aqua Cell Renew Snail Cream, but they all disappear when I wake up the morning after (yes, probably still not a good thing to keep using it but it makes my face look great throughout the day so I'm hesitant to stop using it). So I was thinking maybe this toner will also be the same. But I was wrong, the red bumps persisted the next morning. In fact, a few of them ended up getting more inflamed as the day went by, one had pus in it and two started looking like pimples :(

And maybe all those red bumps would be worth it if this product whitened my skin. But no, the morning after, I had my usual unhealthy yellow tan again which I get when I don't use proper whitening/brightening products the night before. It didn't brighten my skin at all and it definitely did not whiten. The lack of whitening was very apparent especially since I only recently saw the overnight whitening effects of HERA White Program Biogenic Effector and OHUI White Extreme Cellshine Essence.

Allergy and effectiveness aside, the toner has a light-weight consistency. I did find it kinda sticky though, so I'm not sure how suitable it would be for people with oily skin. And I know the photo above also contains the emulsion, and I was planning on trying out the emulsion but those red bumps came out pretty quickly after putting the toner on so I didn't try the emulsion.

I got a similar reaction to Chaga awhile back with The Saem Chaga Fermentation Liposome Good Sleep Cream so I wasn't toooo surprised. Unfortunately I won't be touching the Chaga line anymore. Two products is enough to convince me I'm allergic to this. Funny thing is though The Saem Chaga White Liposome Biocellulose Whitening Mask didn't break me out at all and I've probably used at least 20 of those masks last year and this year. Makes me wonder if those two contain difference ingredients...

Summary:

Allergic reaction :(
Other than the red bumps from my allergic reaction, no whitening effect seen at all
Light-weight consistency, kinda sticky though
$19 for 140ml on Koreadepart.com

Grade: 0/5 because I got an allergic reaction and the red bumps persisted and got bigger! Not to mention it didn't whiten my skin

Value: 0/5 because it's not effective, was sticky and gave me an allergic reaction. It's not even listed on eBay

Repurchase? No more chaga products for me

No comments:

Post a Comment