Saturday, November 24, 2012

Review: Etude House Silk Scarf Shampoo and Conditioner



I've been wanting to try the Etude House Silk Scarf shampoo and conditioner ever since I bought and tried the Etude House Silk Scarf Moist Hair Mist and Etude House Silk Scarf Repair Hair Essence with pretty good results. A new seller popped up on eBay selling these so I decided to buy them. Lucky me because the seller increased them in price soon after!

Description (from koreadepart.com):
  • Formulated with shining oil complex (camelia, argan, sun flower seed, macadamia seed).
  • Hair shampoo for damaged hair whose plentiful foam cleans up hair and scalp
  • Provides nutrition to the inside of hair
  • Baobab tree extracts provide moisture for hair
  • Fruity and watery floral scent
  • Shampoo: After fully wetting your hair, apply a proper amount to your hair and massage softly.
  • Conditioner: After shampoo, apply it to your hair, and about 1 ~ 2 minutes later, wash it off clearly.
My impression:

I've been alternating between Asience and Shiseido Tsubaki for around 7 years now. They weren't bad and have helped my hair, but recently I feel like my hair is not behaving as well as it used to. It's also a bit drier, even when I use hair essence before blow drying my hair. Perhaps it's because I've recently cut my hair from long to shoulder length. So I will subsequently be comparing my hair's results using this shampoo compared to using my Asience and Tsubaki shampoo & conditioner.

First of all, if Etude House wants to lure people to buy their products by providing samples, each sample should at least contain sufficient amount of product for one-time use. The shampoo sample had enough, though it may not be enough for those with long hair (I have shoulder-length hair), but the conditioner sample had barely ANYTHING in it. I did not have enough to spread it around the surface of my hair, nevermind inside. I even thought it may be something wrong with me but I also bought Skinfood Citron Scalp Care Shampoo at around the same time and it had MUCH more in each sample pouch.

My usual routine is shampoo and conditioner, towel dry, use Etude House Silk Scarf Moist Hair Mist and Etude House Silk Scarf Repair Hair Essence or Skinfood Extra Virgin Olive Essence, blow dry hair, iron hair. I did the same thing so I can give a good comparison on how this shampoo and conditioner changes the texture of my hair.

Unfortunately, this shampoo and conditioner didn't do much for me. My hair was the same texture before. It didn't behave better, it wasn't softer, it wasn't smoother. Basically, nothing changed compared to when I use my Tsubaki or Asience shampoo and conditioner. It may be because I didn't use conditioner, more like, they didn't put enough conditioner in the sample for me to use. In any case, if that is the true reason, I take that as Etude House's failed marketing.

It's not a bad product on an absolute scale. It adequately cleaned my hair and it didn't make it drier than before. If you've been having trouble with your shampoo and conditioner and you've never tried Asience or Tsubaki before then you may want to give the samples a try. But for me, since I have tried those already, I would not buy this over my Tsubaki or Asience.

Looking at eBay, only one person sells the shampoo and they sell it $35 for 300ml! Ridiculous. And I can't even find the conditioner.

Summary:

Did not contain enough in each sample pouch for one-time use, particularly conditioner!
No improvement in hair texture, moisture, softness, smoothness compared to Tsubaki or Asience
$3 for 3 samples of shampoo or 3 samples of conditioner

Grade: 3/5 because it did clean my hair and didn't make it worse compared to Tsubaki or Asience, but it also made no improvement compared to Tsubaki or Asience.

Value: 0/5 because it's either way too expensive or not available! All for something that doesn't work!

Repurchase? Nope, I'll be buying the Skinfood Citron Scalp Care Shampoo instead

2 comments:

  1. wow thats expensive for 300ml. i heard in Korea they gave free sample.

    visit my blog ^^
    www.luchluchcraft.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading my blog! And sorry for the late reply. Yes.. most of these samples that we buy the sellers actually acquired them for free. Unfortunately while I was in Korea I never got samples of the shampoo and conditioner so I decided to buy them and see. Too bad they weren't as great as I expected :(

      Delete