Saturday, October 6, 2012

Review: Skinfood Platinum Grape Cell Eye Cream


Another post on my never ending quest to find a suitable eye cream. Previously, the top concern for my eyes were my under eye circles, which Skinfood Salmon Brightening Eye Cream has helped a lot and is continuing to help. However, I'm going to be 25 years old next year and I can already see fine lines under my eyes. So I thought it was time to put an anti-wrinkle eye cream into my regimen. I've previously tried Skinfood Royal Honey Eye Cream and Skinfood Gold Caviar Double Collagen Eye Serum, but since they were the only two anti-wrinkle eye creams that I tried, I decided to try out other products too to compare.

[Edit Oct 22 2012]: I have since written a review for Skinfood Black Raspberry Eye Cream that you can check out as well.

Description (taken from eng.theskinfood.com):
  • A premium anti-aging eye cream containing grape cells and platinum particles that brighten and firm aging skin around the eyes from the inside out.
  • Bourgogne is one of the three best wine producers in France. Bordeaux, Bourgogne, and Cotes du Rohone known for the Gamay grapes. Extracted from the Gamay grapes, our grape cells help regenerate skin cells, firming skin from the inside out.
  • Platinum is one of the purest and rarest metals in the world. With excellent antioxidant effects, Platinum is used for Food, Medical, Cosmetics and etc.
  • After toner application, apply an ample amount onto the skin around the eyes. Pat gently for faster absorption.
My impression:

I just realized the second description point from their website makes absolutely no sense. But I can't decipher it either so I'll just leave it as is.

This cream has a thicker consistency than the Under Eye Serum of the Skinfood Gold Caviar Double Collagen Eye Serum so it takes a bit longer for it to get absorbed. It's actually the thickest eye cream I've ever tried, but I didn't have trouble smoothing it onto my under eye. I've heard some reviewers saying how it's like slabbing a layer of oil on their under eye but I found that it absorbed pretty well and had no problems in terms of oiliness.

Unfortunately, this cream is very similar to the Skinfood Gold Caviar Double Collagen Eye Serum in that it helps a bit but doesn't do the job completely. I see some difference in the depth of my fine lines, but I would say that it's less than 50%. If I put the Skinfood Salmon Brightening Eye Cream on top, then the fine lines are gone when I wake up next morning.

My dark eye circles have improved a lot with the Skinfood Salmon Brightening Eye Cream, but they haven't disappeared completely so I was hoping maybe this eye cream could brighten the remaining of what Skinfood Salmon Brightening Eye Cream couldn't do. I didn't feel any extra brightening of my eyes while using this, whether it's the brightening of my under eye dark circles or just my eye area as a whole.

As for firmness, my under eyes do feel a bit firmer than before I used these anti-wrinkle eye creams, but I feel that it's a different firmness than the one I experienced when I used Skinfood Gold Caviar Double Collagen Eye Serum. This one feels more like water retention. Or maybe it's just the swelling of my under eyes overnight. In any case, this cream has minimal to no effect on firming my under eye.

By all means, this eye cream wasn't bad, but it didn't do the trick for me. I've got a few more eye creams to try out so I hope those turn out better!

Summary:

No breakouts, allergic reactions, etc.
Not any more effective than my local drugstore body lotion
$31 for 30g on eBay

Grade: 3/5 because it reduced the depth of my fine lines but not enough, doesn't firm and doesn't brighten like it claims

Value: 3/5 because the Skinfood Gold Caviar Double Collagen Eye Serum is the same price and more effective in terms of firming my skin

Repurchase? No, I'll be trying more anti-wrinkle eye creams first

No comments:

Post a Comment