Sunday, October 28, 2012

Review: Skinfood Deep Sea Water Multi Toner (brightening)





Last post tonight. I got this as a complimentary sample along with my purchases. I'm currently using Etude House Wonder Pore Freshener which has done so much for my skin (you can read the details of what I mean by clicking on my review here). I've also tried Skinfood Fresh Apple Sparkling Toner, which was a bit too heavy on the alcohol because I felt like it was stripping moisture off my face.

Description (taken from eBay.com):
  • A deep sea-water infused hydrating toner that helps purify and brighten skin. Also can be used as a mist and compress solution. 
  • Deep Sea Water Story: Pure deep sea water is naturally cool and enriched with a myriad of minerals.
  • As toner: after cleansing, pour into palm and smooth over the entire face. Or use with a cotton pad to wipe face in outwards motions.
  • As mist: Use with a spray bottle to mist over face and body whenever skin feels dry or hot.
  • As compress solution: pour into cotton pads or sheets and apply to desired areas for 1 minute
My impression:

Using this toner reminded me of what toners used to be like before I started using Etude House Wonder Pore Freshener. I've never really used any toner as a mist or compress solution so the multi-use doesn't really appeal to me. I don't think I want to waste toner as a compress solution either.

This toner didn't make me feel like my face was getting stripped of moisture like the Skinfood Fresh Apple Sparkling Toner, which was good. However, when I put it on a cotton pad and glided it on my face.. it felt like I was putting a water soaked cotton pad on my face. That is, I had a really hard time trying to smooth this toner on my face. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, since this is a "deep sea water" toner. They probably just got some sterile water, mixed some sea salt in there and called it a toner!

This toner didn't brighten the tone of my skin. Now, this was just a sample that allows for 4-5 uses, so perhaps it offers its brightening effects after prolonged usage. But if anything, I felt an instant mild brightening effect when I use the Etude House Wonder Pore Freshener. So I don't see the need to invest on this toner for a potential effect at prolonged usage when I can get instantaneous brightening effects with another toner.

Price-wise, this toner is cheap. But I can get 500ml of the Etude House Wonder Pore Freshener for around 25 bucks. And no matter how cheap this toner is, if it doesn't work...

Summary:

Deep Sea Water toner = mix some sea salts into water toner?
Felt like I was gliding a water soaked cotton pad on my face
Didn't brighten my skin tone, didn't do much of anything really
$18 for 300ml on eBay

Grade: 1/5 because it doesn't do much. Competition is tough when something as great as Etude House Wonder Pore Freshener exists!

Value: 3/5 because I guess if you want to use it as a mist it's pretty cheap... but I don't think it'd be any different than spraying water on yourself

Repurchase? No

2 comments:

  1. I'm surprised cause i felt my skin so soft afer using this toner. I used at night, after washing my face, slept with the toner and my skin was so soft and bright at morning and this lasted all day!
    It was a sample, so i tried to use another toner that i have but didn't worked as the Deep Sea Water Toner :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's great to hear! Too bad it didn't work the same for me :(

      Delete