Saturday, October 6, 2012

Review: Etude House Silk Scarf Repair Hair Essence


My hair is a dry frizzball. It's thick in that I have a lot of hair making my hair as a whole thick, and also every strand is thick. Very beneficial in the long-run when I get old and I start losing hair, but meanwhile I have to find something to tame it down! I've tried almost, if not all, of Skinfood's hair products. I've tried Skinfood Avocado Leave-In Fluid which wasn't too helpful, Skinfood Argan Oil Silk Hair Essence which was helpful but not enough and made my hair really thick =\, and Skinfood Extra Virgin Olive Essence which does wonders for my hair but I need 8-9 pumps every time so I'll use up one bottle in 1.5 months.


Description (taken from yesstyle.com):
  • Concentrated essence repairs split ends and damaged hair by coating hair with its oil complex-enriched formula.
  • Nutrient-rich formula restores shine and vitality to hair, sealing ragged cuticles and treating hair to needed moisture for a noticeably healthier mane with a lustrous shine.
  • To use, rub a few drops of essence between palms and distribute essence evenly on clean and towel-dried hair, concentrating on the ends.
My impression:

This essence is VERY similar to the Skinfood Extra Virgin Olive Essence. Even the consistency of the essences are the same. I pumped 8 times and spread it onto my towel-dried hair just like I do with the Olive Essence. Unfortunately, the results were NOT as good as Skinfood Extra Virgin Olive Essence. In a nutshell, this Etude House hair essence does make my hair feel smooth, but NOT as silky smooth as Skinfood Extra Virgin Olive Essence. It also made my hair a bit thick, which was the case for both Skinfood Argan Oil Silk Hair Essence and Skinfood Avocado Leave-In Fluid, though this one didn't make my hair as thick as the latter two. It also didn't help much with the frizz for the short strands of hair on the top of my head.

The fragrance of this essence is different from the Skinfood Extra Virgin Olive Essence (that's about the only difference I can think of), but by the time I've dried and ironed my hair I can't smell either fragrance anymore. And for those who are wondering, yes, I do have to iron my hair still. This is, after all, just an essence and not a $200 perm. But the big difference is with both essences, even after I've ironed my hair, it doesn't look ironed. It looks like I'm just one of those people who have naturally silky smooth hair.

And as you would have it, these two are also very similar in pricing. This essence costs $11.14 USD while the Skinfood Extra Virgin Olive Essence costs $10.29. Less than a dollar price difference. If you've already tried one and are wondering about the other, I'd give it a try! Who knows, everybody's hair texture is different, this may end up working better for you than Skinfood Extra Virgin Olive Essence.

Summary:

Same consistency as Skinfood Extra Virgin Olive Essence
Made my hair thicker but not as thick as Skinfood Argan Oil Silk Hair Essence and Skinfood Avocado Leave-In Fluid
Made my hair smoother but not as smooth as Skinfood Extra Virgin Olive Essence
$12 for 60ml on eBay

Grade: 4/5 because it's not as effective as Skinfood Extra Virgin Olive Essence

Value: 4/5 because 60ml only lasts me 1.5 months since I need 8-9 pumps a day

Repurchase? No, I'll stick with Skinfood Extra Virgin Olive Essence since it's cheaper and makes my hair smoother and less thick than this essence

No comments:

Post a Comment