Saturday, September 22, 2012

Review: Skinfood Tomato Wrinkle Sun Cream SPF 36 PA++


After trying out the Skinfood Gold Kiwi No Sebum Sun Matte SPF35 PA+++ last weekend, which turned out to be a nightmare, I was a bit hesitant to try this. But I didn't have anything to do until the afternoon, so I thought I'd have adequate time to wash my face if anything goes wrong.

Description (taken from eng.theskinfood.com):
  • A sunscreen cream containing tomato extract rich in lycopene and various organic acids to protect skin from UV rays. It simultaneously blocks both UVA and UVB rays that cause premature aging of skin.
  • 15-20 minutes before going outside, apply to exposed areas such as face, neck, arms and legs, avoiding eye areas. If outside for extended period of time, reapply as needed.
My impression:

I like to try samples only on weekends because if anything happens and my face breaks out like crazy, I can always stay at home and hide from the world. One sample should be enough for two uses.


I used this right after applying my Etude House Wonder Pore Freshner toner. Immediately as I was applying it on my face I got that white ghastly look typical of sunscreens. Fortunately, the consistency of this was actually like a cream unlike the Skinfood Gold Kiwi No Sebum Sun Matte, so I could smooth it around my face and let it absorb.

Since it's SPF 36, this cream leaves a more evident sunscreen look (the white ghastly look) than HadaLabo's Shirojyun Arbutin Whitening UV Milk which is only SPF 20. The whiteness gets better after it absorbs on your face but that took around 5-10 minutes for me. So if you're in a hurry and you don't put foundation on this may not be suitable for you.

It was also oilier immediately after application than HadaLabo and took longer to absorb. But I found that throughout the day this was less oily than HadaLabo Shirojyun Arbutin Whitening UV Milk. My t-zone, especially my nose, wasn't very oily by mid-afternoon. And this one has a higher SPF than HadaLabo! So when I travel during those hot and humid Asian summers again I may buy this one since it has a higher SPF and I don't get as oily throughout the day.

I don't have wrinkles so I can't say much for that effect, but I feel that it did give an overall smoother appearance to my face when I looked at myself in the mirror a few hours later. 

Summary:

Takes 5-10 minutes to absorb, for the oiliness to go away, and for the white ghastly look to appear more natural
Good oil control for SPF36, less oily throughout the day than a SPF 15 UV Milk
Not sure about wrinkles but it does give a smoother appearance to my face
$11 for 50 ml on eBay

Grade: 4/5 because it made my skin look smooth and had good oil control. Minus 1 mark because it takes awhile to absorb and get that white ghastly look off my face

Value: 4.5/5 because it's pretty cheap for 50ml!

Repurchase? Yes, I think I'll be buying this one once summer comes along. I also have a sample of Skinfood White Platinum Grape Cell with SPF so I'll compare those two and decide. 

No comments:

Post a Comment