Saturday, September 8, 2012

Review: The Saem Chaga White Liposome Biocellulose Sheet (Whitening Mask)


Whitening is one of my top concerns, if not the top. I'm surprised I haven't written anything about whitening products yet since I've tried a TON of them especially over this summer. Most of my whitening products are sheet masks though because I've found that a lot of whitening creams and cleansers don't do much...

When I use a sheet mask I look for several things. First is, of course, effectiveness. Second is whether or not it can stick on my face and feel comfortable (or even better, I don't feel it being on my face after awhile). This is because I don't have the patience nor the time to sit there for 25-30 minutes. I need to be doing something while I put on this mask and if I need to fix it every minute because it's falling off my face then that's an instant fail. Third is whether or not it absorbs. If I don't feel a difference in the wetness of the sheet mask after 30 minutes.. then there is a problem with the compatibility of the mask with my face.

Description (taken from thesaem.hk):
  • Through fermentation and liposome technology, abundant active ingredients could be delivered to the skin in a short time by the dense 3D network structure. And, excellent skin-fit to the pores is enable.
  • Absorption: 10 times of normal non-woven fabric, Elasticity: 500 times of normal non-woven fabric
  • After cleansing and skin treatment with toner, take out the pouch and dispose of the upper film, then apply the film side to the face and take off pearl paper, press the mask sheet gently from the chin, the cheek and the forehead along the face line for an even skin-fit. After 25~30 minutes, gently take off the mask and pat the remains on the skin to enhance absorption.
My impression:

First off, I'd like to mention there is a non-whitening version of this, The Saem Chaga Liposome Biocellulose Sheet. I've written a review of this as well so for those who are interested please click here :D

I used this every day and every other day for the whole month of August. I bought 2 packs of 10 of this sheet mask when I was in Korea because my skin gets tanned very easily and I was out in the Asian sun for more than a month. I knew I wouldn't have time for sheet masks when classes start so I thought why not, let's just use this everyday.

When I first used it, which was in Korea when my skin was at its darkest and I haven't used any whitening masks yet. After taking it off, I noticed an instant brightening effect. My skin was also moisturized. The redness from my acne scars from a year ago were still visible under my cheeks but it felt like I had less color differences on my face as a whole. This was why I decided to buy 2 packs of 10 of this mask.

But as I started using this more and more, especially when I came back to Canada and I wasn't out in the sun everyday, I felt less of an effect. My skin still felt moisturized and it evened out the color on my face, but I wouldn't say the effect was strong enough to be classified as whitening. However, when I used Hadalabo's Shirojyun Arbutin Whitening Mask then, I saw a whitening effect that I couldn't see with this mask.

As for its liposome technology and 3D network structure that leads to an excellent skin-fit and increased absorption, I do feel comfortable putting this mask on. It's not divided into two like many other Korean masks but it sticks to my skin quite well. Better than Skinfood's Omija Whitening Mask..that mask kept sliding off!

As for absorption, I do feel that it has absorbed onto my skin, but I don't feel that it's absorbed a lot more, like 10 times more than my other sheet masks, such as the Hadalabo mask. But having said that, it definitely absorbs much better than Skinfood's Omija Whitening Mask and Etude House's Darling Snail Mask.

Summary:

It whitens but Hadalabo's Shirojyun Arbutin Whitening Mask is more effective
Moisturizes and adheres to skin well
$3 a mask in Korea. Couldn't even find this on eBay!

Quality: 3.5/5 because it is effective though only when you have recently tanned skin, adheres to my face well without distracting me and the substance does get absorbed

Value: 3/5 because it's quite expensive for its minimal to moderate effect

Repurchase? No, I'll either be using Hadalabo's Shirojyun Arbutin Whitening Mask or trying other whitening masks.

No comments:

Post a Comment