Saturday, September 22, 2012

Review: HadaLabo Shirojyun Arbutin Whitening UV Milk SPF 20 (sunscreen)


Brief post before sleep. This is the last product I have from the HadaLabo Shirojyun Arbutin Whitening line. You can read my reviews about the Arbutin Whitening Essence, the Arbutin Whitening Mask and the Arbutin Whitening Lotion and Milk in their respective posts. I originally bought this because I thought whitening + sun block = the ultimate whitening skincare product!

Description (taken from sasa.com):
  • Contains the effective whitening & anti-ageing ingredients -arbutin and hyaluronic acid- which penetrate deep into skin and effectively inhibits the formation of melanin, dark spots, and freckles, leaving you a bright skin tone with high translucency. 
  • The SPF 20 PA++ helps protect skin from UVA and UVB. 
  • Weak acid, no fragrance, no alcohol and no oil. 
  • It is suitable for face and whole body. 
  • After cleansing and toning, apply an appropriate amount on the entire face. 
My impression:


I wrote about how arbutin was effective for whitening my face in my Arbutin Whitening Essence post so I won't repeat that here.

I wore this every now and then but only started using this everyday while I was traveling in Asia for a month. I usually use Shiseido's White Lucent Brightening Protective Emulsion with SPF 15 as my day lotion but it was too bulky to carry in my luggage so I opted for this small bottle instead. I knew SPF 20 was not enough for the crazy UV rays of Asia and also my very easily tanned skin DNA but I also didn't want to wear a SPF 50 sunscreen on my face and break out like crazy.

So I'll comment instead on the whitening effects and oil control (or the lack thereof). Even when I was using this before traveling, I never noticed any standalone whitening effects from this UV milk. When I went to Asia, I already tried my best to stay indoors and only go outdoors if I have to walk to a certain destination (i.e. I don't go to a beach and sun tan or do any kind of outdoor activities). Even then I was tanned like crazy. I didn't feel this UV milk alleviated the tanning effects. But I didn't get sun burnt...but I don't have pale skin to begin with so I usually don't get sun burnt.

But my biggest problem with this UV milk was the oil production. By mid day, my T-zone and the pores on my cheeks on the two sides of my nose were producing oil like crazy. Way more oil than when I use Shiseido's White Lucent Brightening Protective Emulsion. I needed to dab my face with oil paper very often and along with the humidity of Asia my face didn't feel very comfortable with this on.

So this product was a dud for me! For effective whitening, I would recommend on trying the Arbutin Whitening Essence.from the same line. This one actually works.

On a side note, even though it may not be effective, at least it didn't break me out like Skinfood Omija Whitening Serum and Cream.

Summary:

Did not whiten my skin
Way too oily on T-zone and pores by mid-day

$13 for 30g on Sasa

Grade: 1/5 because it didn't whiten and it was oily! But I guess it did moisturize so it gets a mark

Value: 0/5 because there's no point going out of your way to get something that isn't effective and promotes breakouts with that kind of oil production

Repurchase? No

No comments:

Post a Comment